Social media, influencers, and society, in general, have become obsessed with perfection, which directs at our external appearance as well. We need to have a certain weight, get rid of that double chin, and suck up that baby fat on our bellies. With all this, our health often becomes a battleground for unrealistic expectations and self-criticism.
Contrary to common misconception, our health isn’t solely based on physical appearance. It goes beyond that; you can only get to actual well-being when you embrace your imperfections. Without further ado, let’s get into it!
What Does it Mean to Have Flawesome Health?
Our well-being is a combination of various factors besides physical health. It involves nurturing our mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being. If your physical health is top-notch, but you’re mentally depressed, your well-being will be compromised one way or another. Additionally, recent medical studies also prove that our physical and mental health are interlinked, meaning the depreciation of one affects the other.
Flawesome health focuses on your overall well-being and not just your physical appearance. In other words, it’s about keeping yourself healthy rather than running after Victoria’s Secret model appearance. In the famous words of American philosopher Ralph Waldo, “health is wealth.”
But how do you get there? It all happens when you shift your mindset to self-care and self-compassion. Kristina Mand-Lakhiani has explained the importance of embracing our authentic selves through self-acceptance in detail in her book “Becoming Flawesome – The Key to Living an Imperfectly Authentic Life.” This book is the ultimate guide to shifting your mindset in a way that truly contributes to your well-being.
Once you understand that every human has flaws and that’s what makes them unique, you’ll be on track to #BecomingFlawesome, i.e., fully accepting your imperfectly unique self. Of course, that leads to improved well-being automatically when you’re working on staying healthy instead of being ‘perfect.’
The Benefits of Embracing Flawesome Health
By now, you would have a gist of flawesome health, but why hop on to this bandwagon? Is it another ‘woke concept’ with no logic behind it? The following advantages may convince you otherwise.
- Promoting Self-Acceptance: When you let yourself breathe and accept yourself as you come alongside your flaws, you’re rekindling self-compassion. The idea of perfectionism in terms of appearances stops us from cultivating a kinder and more loving relationship with ourselves, which is integral to our well-being.
- Holistic Well-Being: Flawesome health and actual studies recognize that well-being works best in a multifaceted approach. You can’t just focus on one aspect and ignore the rest. This concept encourages a balanced focus on your mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical health, creating a more holistic sense of well-being.
- Reduced Stress and Anxiety: The strive for perfectionism associates health primarily with unrealistic standards of beauty. When you embrace your flaws, it’ll help release the stress and anxiety that’s a direct result of going after ideals. In return, you’ll experience a healthier relationship with yourself and your body when your mind is at peace.
- Enhanced Body Positivity: Flawesome health is all about shifting the focus from looks to health. While you might not look like America’s Next Top Model, you’ll start feeling better. Remember to focus on your body’s strength, functionality, and resilience rather than appearance.
Practical Strategies for Flawesome Health
Can’t wait to get on to a renewed mindset that prioritizes your complete well-being? Follow these tips:
- Practice Self-Care: If you want to take care of your overall health, you need to incorporate a routine that balances out each of the aspects. Go for a walk, eat healthy food, sleep well, read, go to a spa, or whatever keeps you happy and relaxed.
- Focus on Mindfulness: You know how we eat while scrolling through our social media? Medicine has proved that practicing mindfulness when eating food can help us digest it better. That concept goes for just about everything. Start being present in the moment and focusing on your inner self to increase self-awareness and increase your well-being.
- Encourage a Positive Body Image: Not worrying about your features, body fat, etc., is challenging, but small habits can help you appreciate your body. Unfollow celebrities, influencers, and loved ones that make you feel bad about your body. Better yet, surround yourself with diverse media representation and supportive communities.
Flawesome health encourages us to redefine our approach to well-being. Besides that, you’ll be seeing your flaws as features that make you stand out. By practicing self-care, positive body image, and focusing on our overall well-being, we can embark on a journey that puts our health first. Let’s embrace imperfections and prioritize holistic health as we strive towards #BecomingFlawesome.